Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Learning to be flexible




Wow, what a week this has been. Seriously, Friday I hurt my hip flexor, road Saturday, skipped Sunday workout so I could finish Christmas shopping for my kids and Monday hurt my back carrying a laundry basket, of all things, up the stairs. Today my son has surgery scheduled to get a second set of tubes put in his ears. I also have a swim and bike workout on the schedule that I totally plan on doing.
The truth is, however, is that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed trying to fit everything in each and every day. It probably would be easier if, say, I didn't have a full time job or kids, but I wouldn't trade either of them for extra time to train - of course.
But what would also make my life easier to remaining injury free.
My hip flexor is the direct result of me not stretching after each and every (or any) workout. Talking to Joanna about this pain, she stressed the importance of stretching and yoga through a long and detailed Twitter exchange.
Side note: I can't imagine how coaches managed contact with such high maintainance clients like myself before twitter, Facebook and even email.
Anyway, through such contact, Joanna was able to adjust my training schedule for this week to take into account my inability to run and to add more stretching. Also, when I'm able to run again without pain (hopefully very soon), I'll be taking it a little slower to make sure I don't reinjure myself right away.
The point being is that communication with your coach is key to a successful relationship with your coach. It's just as important to have a coach who is not only willing to listen, but also willing to adjust their training plan to fit the client's needs - especially, in my case, during the base-building phase of training.
In the meantime, I gotta get my kid to the surgery center. Life happens, being flexible - both literal and physical - will make me stronger.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were taking a good rest..... Forgot life was going to be this crazy for you this week. Think of your recovery time as a well deserved rest for the rest of your muscles. Sounds like you are handling well. I hope surgery fixes things. Take it easy. Tam

    ReplyDelete